The Sun and Mercury are never more than 28 degrees apart. That is why; the only major aspect they can make in a natal chart is the conjunction. Sun represents the energy of your growing self. Mercury represents how you need to think and communicate in order to be effective. These two planets in aspects suggest the feel of ego’s energy infusing the thought system. Sun-Mercury aspect or midpoint is a frequently changing complex. If you know their natal placement and transit condition, you can get a sense of how you are being challenged to grow in the way you think and express yourself. Below is Natal Sun – Mercury aspects interpretation.
Statement that represents the Sun and Mercury aspects : Ego-energy infusing thought System
There can be no other aspects between these two planets since they never get more than twenty-eight degrees apart. Thus, there can be no disharmony between spirit (Sun) and consciousness (Mercury). See also the interpretations for Sun in the Houses and Mercury in the Houses to see what specific parts of your life this aspect will take place in. Those aspect are important for natal chart interpretation.
Sun conjunct Mercury – Idealization as a Defense
- Typical features that this conjunction brings: You ego and your mind are aligned. So, you possess much mental energy. You are always thinking about what you want, and in many ways, this is an interruption of the will. Above all, Mercury brings definition to whatever it contacts. When mercury is aligned with the Sun, you apply logic and definition to the will. But, the will generally works better when it is allowed to “just be” rather than be analyzed. Also, you have communication ability and a lot of pride invested in intellectual capacities. You often do not listen when other people are talking. So, you might be too busy thinking about what to say next. This trait comes from a strong need to take an active role in communications. It is very hard for you to passively listen and absorb information. There is a tendency toward idealization. This is a definite possibility. The symptoms of Sun conjunct Mercury are: firstly, you are self-absorbed and blind to your own flaws. Secondly, you are who are overly proud of yourself and love to talk only about yourself. You’re apt to be selfish without realizing it. That is because your thoughts are focused more on yourself and not on others. You’ll do well as a teacher since you have good communication skills.
- Positive traits: People with Sun conjunct Mercury can be extremely creative and gifted in the arts. Also you can express your ideas well and you are often very artistic. This is a great aspect for artists who perform on stage.
- Negative traits: Above all, you are intellectuals, but your thinking is very subjective. You can sometimes lack objectivity or the ability to see things from the outside. Also, you are strongly opinionated and not good listener.
Sun opposition Mercury
- Typical features that opposition brings – An opposition is an angle of 180° (1/2 of the 360° ecliptic). That indicates that Sun and Mercury cannot form opposition. That is because these two planets never get more than twenty-eight degrees apart. But, you should know facts about opposition because it is important for natal chart interpretation. This is major aspect. Oppositions are the second most powerful aspect. It resembles the conjunction although the difference between them is that the opposition is fundamentally relational. All important axes in astrology are essentially oppositions.
- Individuals with too many oppositions: You tend to worry too much about what people will talk about them. You take things personally as water signs usually do. There is a strange complexity in the air when you are around. You have a fear of judgment and imagine a riot before it happens.
Sun square Mercury
- Typical features that square brings – A square is an angle of 90° (1/4 of the 360° ecliptic, or 1/2 of an opposition [180°]). That indicates that Sun and Mercury cannot form square. That is because these two planets never get more than twenty-eight degrees apart. But, you should know facts about square because it is important for natal chart interpretation. This is major aspect. The square’s energy is strong and usable but has a tension that needs integration between 2 different areas of life. Or it offers a choice point where an important decision needs to be made that involves an opportunity cost. It is the smallest major aspect that involves houses in different quadrants.
- Individuals with too many squares: You are usually in constant tension. You are giving a major time to adjust the scenarios. You are usually striving for some more action. You are very well known for your abrupt behavior. That causes you to be stressed out to the point of having a breakdown.
Sun sextile Mercury
- Typical features that sextile brings – A sextile is an angle of 60° (1/6 of the 360° ecliptic, or 1/2 of a trine [120°]). That indicates that Sun and Mercury cannot form sextile. That is because these two planets never get more than twenty-eight degrees apart. But, you should know facts about sextile because it is important for natal chart interpretation. This is major aspect. The sextile is similar in influence to the trine, but less intense. It indicates ease of communication between the two elements involved. It indicates compatibility and harmony between them. A sextile provides opportunity. Your life is very lucky sometimes. It is hard to imagine things going bad for you.
- Individuals with too many sextiles: You tend to be too lazy and comfortable. For you, changing is hard and suffering. It is very hart for you to learn that you are stuck in a comfort zone. Sextiles create wonderful abilities instead of owning them. Your biggest work here is to realize how much you could be missing while sitting back and just relaxing.
Sun Trine Mercury
- Typical features that trine brings: A trine is an angle of 120° (1/3 of the 360° ecliptic). That indicates that Sun and Mercury cannot form trine. That is because these two planets never get more than twenty-eight degrees apart. But, you should know facts about trine because it is important for natal chart interpretation. This is major aspect. The trine relates to what is natural and indicates harmony and ease. The trine often involves talents. This aspect has been assumed to be extremely beneficial.
- Individuals with too many trines: You tend to forget your best and the most talented self. So, you need to keep reminding yourself of their hidden creative spots and what needs to be done. You have to work harder to realize such beautiful things in you.
The only minor aspect that is possible between Sun and Mercury are
Sun Semi-sextile Mercury
The only minor aspect that Sun and Mercury create is semi sextile. Your communication skills are very good. You can communicate easier than most people. That is because of the harmony between your thoughts and your sense of self. Your mind can focus clearly and objectively. You are more aware than most other people of the need to make adjustments in life. So, you know when to start and when to stop. You may find that you are frequently in the position to adjust your path. Also, you are often unsure of your opinions. With experience, you (ideally) learn to avoid wasteful over-thinking.
Sun parallel Mercury
This aspect in your natal chart gives you a very active mind. Also it gives you a quick wit. You relate well with others. Above all, you have great relationships with younger people. Also, you can be quite nervous at times. You tend to retain a youthful quality throughout life. There is a tendency to communicate with strength. And you might captivate your audience. In conclusion, you may need to work on your listening skills. It is recommended to see if the Moon is not in harmony with the Sun or Mercury.